Online Slots Types
If you’re new to the world of online gambling, you might want to learn more about different types of slots. Although the number of slot titles is huge, all of them can be separated into these four categories:
- Classic SlotsRemember those old-fashioned fruit machines that many bars used to keep back in the day? If you feel nostalgic about those games, classic slots are your solution. They’re basically digital version of the classic fruit machines. Many online casinos have these games in their offer, some of which are with 3, some with 4 reels.
You can’t expect any special graphic elements in these slots, nor some interesting characters and images. In fact, most classic slot games feature symbols traditionally associated with slot machines – Liberty Bell, apple, pear, etc.
- Video SlotsStrictly speaking, all slots in online casinos are video slots. Still, when someone says “video slots” they’re usually referring to the type of slots with 5 reels, attractive graphics, and advanced features like bonus rounds or wilds. They also often come with interesting themes and backstories, which may be inspired by popular movies (e.g. Jurassic World Slot by Microgaming), Rock’n’Roll bands (e.g. NetEnt’s Guns n Roses Slot), folktales (e.g. Thunderstruck by Microgaming), and so on. And some slots come with backstories created by the game’s developers themselves.
- 3D SlotsYou can think of 3D slots as regular video slots on steroids. The two are pretty similar, the only difference being that 3D slots are much more impressive in terms of graphic elements. As their name suggests, 3D slots have symbols that move in a 3D universe, rather than being stuck to the spinning 2D reels. Almost all of the 3D slots developed in the last couple of years have some interesting backstory. You might be helping a hero to get ahold of the lost treasure, save a damsel in distress, or kill a fire-breathing dragon. It’s because the whole point of 3D slots is to provide you with fun, not just a chance to win money.
- Progressive SlotsSlots can bring you a lot of fun, but the biggest thrill comes when you get a chance to win the jackpot, which sometimes can be pretty high. We’re talking 7 figures here! The slots you need to play to get a chance to win a several million dollar worth jackpot are called progressive slots. How they work is that every time you lose some money on a progressive jackpot, the funds are added to the prize pool, thus increasing the jackpot amount. And the same goes for every player who has wagered money on the same game.
Online Slots Software
Online slots are getting more and more popular each day, meaning that demand for new games is huge. However, developing a game is not an easy task, even for the best software developers.
There are so many things that come into play when creating a new slot game – its theme, gameplay, special features, graphics, etc. On top of everything, the developers need to make the slots fair so that the players would have a good chance of winning. If one of these things is missing, the game won’t be good enough. This is why not everyone can create the best online slots. In fact, only a small number of software providers can develop top-quality games. Some of those include the following:
- MicrogamingAccording to the company itself, Microgaming is the first software company to create an online casino. It happened in 1994 and since, Microgaming has become one of the leaders in the industry. Microgaming slots are now synonymous with quality and reliability, as well as their amazing graphics and themes.
- NetEntThis software company was established in 1996 in Sweden and has quickly become one of the leading developers of video slots. Today, NetEnt provides games to a number of top-rated online casinos. In fact, it seems that there aren’t too many reputable casino websites that don’t have NetEnt slots in their game libraries.
- PlaytechAlthough it focuses mostly on creating online bingo games, Playtech has ventured in the business of slots development. And their developers have done a terrific job creating slot games that are both interesting to play and very reliable.
- QuickspinThe subsidiary of Playtech, Quickspin has started developing online slots only recently. Still, the company has managed to achieve impressive success so far. Same as its parent organization, Quickspin also makes slots with impressive graphics, but what makes their games different is that each of their titles comes with a unique backstory.
- NextGen GamingThis Australian software company is doing its best to play up to its name by creating video slots of the next generation. NextGen Gaming slots are famous for their impressive graphic elements, which often come in 3D.
- BetsoftHers another software company that’s been around for more than a decade. What makes Betsoft stand out from the competitions is this company’s focus on making mobile-friendly slots. Almost all of Betsoft slot games work very well both on computers and mobile devices.
- IGTIGT stands for International Game Technology, which is one of the software companies with the longest tradition. It was established in 1990 as a company that provides software solutions to brick-and-mortar casinos, but has switched its focus over time to online casinos. Today, IGT is famous for being a true leader in the development of online slot games.
- NovomaticSimilarly to the IGT, this company was also started back in the day when the internet wasn’t such a big deal as today. But, when online casinos started emerging as respectable rivals to traditional casinos, Novomatic decided to adapt. The path the company chose was developing online casino games, particularly online slots.
- Play’n GoAs the name of this company suggests, Play’n Go is a developer dedicated to creating online slots that work well on mobile devices. Whether it’s Adnroid or iOS, it doesn’t matter, Play’n Go slots work fine on all devices!
- Red TigerAlthough it’s one of the youngest casino software providers in the world, Red Tiger is definitely among the best. The company was launched a few years ago with the intention of bringing something new to the world of online casinos. And that something was slot games with fantastic graphics and themes based on myths and legends from all over the world, e.g. Norse mythology, German fairytales, etc.
- Yggdrasil GamingFounded in 2013, Yggdrasil Gaming got its name from a mythical tree from Norse mythology, which explains why many slots from its collection have themes and backstories inspired by the Scandinavian folk tales.
The ones in the list above are the some of the most reputable software developers in the online casino universe. There are many more out there, but putting them all in the list would take too much space. If you would like to learn more about other top-rated developers of online slots, you can find all the info you need on our website.
Benefits of Playing Free Slots Online
One of the reasons why you should be looking for free online casino slots is that they’ll provide you with a lot of fun. You get to play slots without paying with your money. Speaking of which, you also get a chance to win nice cash without risking anything. Unfortunately, not all casinos let you play free slots online for a chance to win real money. Some of them just let you play free online slots for fun. Actually, most online casinos allow the players to play demo slots free online, but without giving them any chance of winning real money.
The good news is that not all online casinos are like that. Some of them do reward the players with a chance to win money without wagering any. To find such casinos, you need to look for free online slots no deposit deals. Basically, such offers are made to give you an incentive to sign up to a casino and give some of their slot games a try. A casino might decide to give you bonus funds which you can use on any of their slots. Or, they might give you a certain number of free spins for a certain game. For example, many slots nowadays give away 50 free spins Starburst no deposit, in order to get the newcomers familiar with this game.
Unfortunately, in many cases, these offers do not come without any wagering requirements. The thing is that online casinos aren’t too keen on giving away money; they would rather take it from you. That’s why some of them decide to make it really difficult for the players to win. The most common method of reducing the players’ chances of walking away with big cash is by setting up rollover requirements. Obviously, getting a chance to win money without investing any is definitely a good thing, regardless of the reason why casinos have decided to present you with such an offer. So, if you get a chance to play online free slots, there’s no reason to say no, even if the chances of actually getting the money aren’t too good. After all, you can’t lose anything.
Slots Odds, Winning, Payouts
To understand your chances of winning money on slots, you need to understand how these games work. Actually, you need to understand how all online casino games work. Assuming that they’re not crooked, all of them are based on the RNG (random number generator) which is a kind of software that ensures that the outcomes are completely up to chance. In layman’s words, whether you’ll win money or not is up to Lady Luck. However, this doesn’t mean that your chances are 50-50, as they would if you were flipping a coin. Your winning chances depend on a thing called RTP (return to player). Expressed as a percentage, the RTP rate refers to how much of the total wagered money the players get in return.
Of course, the RTP does not apply just to the amount of money you’ve wagered, but all the players who’ve wagered money on the same game. What this means is that some of the players will win big, some won’t win anything. For example, if the total amount of money wagered on a single slot game is $10,000 and its RTP is 95%, it means that some of the players will win a total of $9,500 combined. How that money is distributed among the players is totally up to chance.
The question you might have at the moment is how does all this apply to free online slots? Well, it’s basically the same. It doesn’t matter whether you’ve wagered your own money of if you got free spins from the casino. What matters the most is that the RTP percentage is high. The higher the RTP, the better the chance that you will win some money. However, if the game can be played for free, it means that the number of those who’ve wagered real money is not too big. In turn, this also means that the prize pool might not be too impressive. So, even if you get to be among the lucky ones who get a prize, you probably won’t get rich from it.
Play Slots for Free or Wager Real Money?
To wager real money or not, that is the question. To help you out with finding the right answer, we’ve put all the advantages and disadvantages of both options in a single table.
|Free Online Slots
|No risking money
||You cannot win anything
||You can win something
||Money is risked
|Try out the software
||You cannot access bonuses
||You can access bonuses
||No trying out the software
|You can play as long as you want
||The slots might be limited
||Ability to access an unlimited number of slots
||You can only play when you make a wager
|Accessible to everyone
||There might be adverts when playing these slots
||There are no adverts to interrupt your play
||Accessible to punters who have deposited
|Ideal for practising
||They can consume your time since they are free
||You control yourself when playing real money slots
||Not ideal for practising
With that said, when you enjoy online slots play free or for real money, you get excited and it’s fun to play. They are also accessible any time you want to play them, be it at home or at work. They can also become addictive if you don’t know how to play responsibly and plan your time.
Play on Mobile – Phone, iPad, Android & Tablets
It’s estimated that the number of mobile users in the world is about 5 billion. That’s almost two-thirds of the world’s population. Obviously, it’s a big market, which is why it’s not a big surprise that many online casinos have gone mobile. Actually, an online casino cannot be considered decent if its website isn’t mobile friendly. You can be sure that all of the casinos recommended by us can easily be accessed with a smartphone or a table. And some of them have even gone so far to creating special apps for their mobile users.
This way, they make sure that the users get a flawless experience when playing their games. Of course, it’s not just about the casino, it’s also about the game provider. Even if the casino creates a web-friendly website or an app for mobile users, it doesn’t mean that all the games from their offer can be played on mobile devices. It all depends on what kind of slots the casinos have in their offer. If they’re developed by top-rated software companies like Microgaming or NetEnt, the slots are guaranteed to work just fine on all types of mobile devices – Android smartphones, Windows phones, iPhones, iPads, and so on.
Just a few decades ago, slots were gambling machines which people used to get a chance to win a jackpot. These days, things are a little bit different. Although you can still win millions by playing online slots, these games are now much more fun to play. And even if you don’t win anything, you probably won’t feel too sorry. Why? Because you’ve had a really good time playing the game!
Don’t trust us that the online slots available in 2019 are so awesome? Then, why not give some of them a try? There are some online games you can play for free. And the best thing is that you might get some real-money rewards even without wagering any of your money.